Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Blurt: Exercise Challenge, Do the Impossible!


In order to achieve our weight loss goals we must include exercise. For some of us this is running a couple of miles a day. For others, it means a trip to the gym three or four times a week. It can include playing sports, doing housework, aerobics, playing with the kids, or taking a walk. But, when was the last time you challenged yourself during exercise?

For me, I am taking it step by step. We all have to work at a level that is good for us and takes safety into mind. It wasn’t that long ago I was bed ridden. But little by little I am regaining my strength. At first, it was difficult for me just to make it to the restroom or the kitchen without being completely out of breath. Now, I am able to easily walk around my home. I clean my own bathroom, wash the dishes, and pick up the trash. Those household chores people hate to do, me included, I am able to accomplish. It is true I still have trouble doing some things because I still have trouble standing for periods of time but I am making progress.

I used to have trouble with stairs as well. I had to take each step with both feet before moving to the next. I can still remember the physical therapist telling me to lead with the good foot going up, bad foot going down. I would say to myself good foot up, bad foot down, over and over again to remember. Now I can walk up and down the stairs like normal people do using one foot per stair. It took me challenging myself to keep going up and down the stairs to gain the strength in order to get to that point.

For awhile I used a wheelchair to get to and from the car. Now I have started walking to the end of the street. When I started walking there I was using a walker. There is a picnic table there that I can rest before coming back. It is only about 100 yards each way, but to me it has been a good workout. However, it is time to challenge myself again. There is a circle at the end of the street and I have been looking at it and visualizing being able to walk around it before taking a rest. It is a good size circle and will add about 30-40 yards each time around. Tomorrow is the day I have set to accomplish this. I was going to do it tonight but it is raining pretty hard outside. I use a cane when I walk because I am still unsteady at times and I do not want to slip and fall in the rain. But I am ready for the challenge and I will do it. It is my next exercise goal.

Little by little if we add to our exercise routine we will achieve the weight loss we are seeking. We must keep pushing forward. How will you challenge yourself during exercise this week? Look at me, we can do the impossible. God Bless and Take Care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...