Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Blurt: Mom, There’s Nothing to Eat! (Grocery List)


Don’t you just hate that whining voice coming from your children no matter what their age? My son is twenty-one and I can still hear him whine. What they mean is there are no high calorie junk foods left to eat. They do not want the fruits and other healthy items in the house. They do not want the low-fat, low-calorie diet foods either. However, it is important to keep certain foods on hand. As I learned when I was in the Boy Scouts of America®, you must Be Prepared, in doing so you can stay on your diet and achieve your weight loss goals. You must plan for achieving a healthy lifestyle. If there are not any healthy food alternatives, you will eat the junk that is there. I have prepared a list below of food items I try to keep on hand. Your list will probably vary depending on your tastes.

(I have gone through those financial hard times when it was difficult to afford food. In those cases try to keep the healthy basics on hand and opt out of the high calorie foods. For all of you who are struggling, may God bless you and keep you safe.)

Dry Goods

 Whole Wheat or Whole Grain Breads / Reduced Calorie Buns
 Cereal
 Pita Bread / Tortillas
 Reduced Calorie Crackers
 Baking Mix / Pancake Mix
 Gelatin Mix
 Sugar-free Pudding
 Sugar Substitute
 Jam / Jelly
 Peanut Butter
 Nuts
 Plain Microwave Popcorn
 100 Calorie Snack Packs
 Baked Chips
 Diet Snack Bars
 Olive Oil
 Cooking Spray
 Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
 Whole Wheat Pasta
 Brown and/or Wild Rice
 Favorite Seasonings and Herbs (Pepper, Garlic, Low-Sodium Salt, etc.)
 Lemons / Limes
 Onions
 Potatoes
 Diet Beverages
 Powdered Sugar-Free Drink Mixes

Canned Goods

 Green Beans
 Peas
 Potatoes
 Tuna Fish packed in Water
 Reduced Sodium/Fat Soups (Tomato, Vegetable, Chicken Broth, Chicken Noodle)
 Diced Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Tomato Paste
 Fruit packed in water or their own juice

Fridge

 Skim Milk
 Eggs or Egg Substitute
 Yogurt
 Reduced-Fat/Fat-Free Hard Cheese
 String Cheese
 Parmesan Cheese
 Cream Cheese
 Fat-free Dressing
 Mustard
 Ketchup
 Light or Fat Free Mayo
 Fat-Free or Low-Fat Dips
 Reduced Calorie Syrup
 Light or Fat-Free Butter or Margarine
 Low-Fat Sour Cream
 Apples / Oranges / Plums / Pears / Melon
 Celery / Carrots
 Deli Sliced Turkey / Roast Beef / Lean Ham

Freezer

 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
 Reduced Fat Hot dogs
 Canadian Style Bacon
 Lean Ground Beef
 Veggie Burgers, if that’s your thing
 Lean Ground Turkey and/or Chicken
 Skinless Fish
 Whole-Grain Waffles
 Light or Fat-Free Desserts
 Light Frozen Entrees and Side Dishes
 Frozen Meal Kits (Stir Fries with Light Sauces)
 Frozen Fruits
 Frozen Vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...