Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Blurt: Let’s Dance!


Get up on your feet and dance! Put a smile on your face and get that body moving. Turn that music up! Your kids are not the only ones that can play it loud. We old people were annoying adults long before they came around. So take out that old music and crank it up and annoy them for a change. Let them think that Mom and Dad have gone nuts. They will be texting to their friends, “OMG, lol, the ‘rents have gone crazy!” We all need some movement in our lives. Our good health depends on it. Keep those muscles active. Even if you are like I was not so long ago, when I could only get up and dance for one minute, get up and start moving. If you need to, get those arms moving while you’re sitting in a chair. You have to start somewhere. We all need exercise for our healthy lifestyle change.

When I first got out of the hospital, I could march in place for one minute before I had to sit and rest. If you can only do it for thirty seconds, do it for thirty seconds; your health may depend on it. My exercises were primarily from a sitting position in the beginning. I started out by just moving my arms up and down with no resistance. I would hold them out on each side and raise them up and down. I would do curls by raising my arms up and down in front of me. I would hold my arms out for as long as I could. I would raise my arms above my head repeatedly. I started out by doing repetitions of fifteen at a time and slowly I increased up to twenty, then twenty-five, then thirty. Then I added some weight to my exercise. You can use soup cans if you do not have dumbbells. Just hold one in each hand. You do not need fancy equipment or a gym membership to exercise. Everything you need is right there at home. The most important thing you need is motivation.

My lower body workouts were much the same. I would march in place. I would kick my feet out in front of me sitting down. I would hold them off the ground for as long as I could. I would stand and use the back of a chair for support and kick my feet out to the side, in front of me and behind me. I would stand on my tippy toes. Do anything to get the muscles in motion. My exercise routine included lying on my back and lifting my legs up and down in repetition. I would do leg lifts and hold my feet up as long as I could. I would lie on my side and move my legs up and down, increasing repetitions as time went on. I was unable to get down on the floor to do these so I did them in my bed. Well, I guess the getting down on the floor was not my problem; it was the getting up after I was done that I could not do.

That reminds me of when I first became unable to work due to an infection three years ago. Now the infection was not my only problem. I had already been having health issues and as time goes on I will discuss these in more depth. But a few days before I went into the hospital, I had fallen off of the bed and could not get up. Imagine this, a man, 400 pounds on the floor unable to get up. Not a pretty picture. It took eight firemen to get me up off of that floor. Little did they know, two days later they would be rushing me to the hospital. That picture in my mind still gives me motivation to keep going toward my goals.

Well, let’s get back to the original topic, Exercise. As time progressed, I was able to do more repetitions and use more weight. You just have to stay motivated. Realize that by taking little steps you can reach your weight loss goals. You can live a healthier lifestyle; it just takes a little effort on your part. Day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute, if you take those small steps they will lead to ultimate success. I can walk 100 yards now without stopping. Three years ago I was on the floor, trapped. I was bed ridden. Back in February, 2009 I almost died. When I started this journey, I was in a wheelchair. Success is possible! We can live a healthy lifestyle! A healthy diet and exercise will lead us to our goals. One day, I will be able to say, take me out on that dance floor and Let’s Dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...