Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Blurt: The Storm Rages Onward


As I sit on my porch off in the distance I see a storm gathering on the horizon. The clouds begin to stack one on top of the other and accumulate in massive piles of marshmallow fluff. They plow into each other like a bumper car pileup trying to push each other out of the way but to no avail. You can almost see their frustration as they begin to anger and become dark with their rage. As the sun continues to set you can see the awesome glow of colors reflecting off the clouds and beams of sunlight piercing through leaving me to contemplate how awesome and powerful our God truly is. Although the day resists, night slowly presses forward as a blanket of darkness falls over the earth.

Now the night sky is as dark and black as the asphalt on a newly paved road. I begin to wonder if the storm will pass. Then in a blink of an eye I see a flash of light, then another. I stare intently awaiting the next surge as a bolt of lightning rips the night sky toward the ground. The battle of the clouds has begun. As they crash and attack each other bolt after bolt fly and soar bringing numerous flashes of light upon the black canvas. The battle is still too far off to hear the devastation and destruction.

The winds begin to quicken and make the tree branches bow to the approaching battlefield. Slowly as it approaches I begin to hear the rumblings of their cannon fire. The storm is much closer now and I can feel the electrical surge in the air. It feels as though all my nerves are on end anticipating the arrival. You can almost taste the moisture in the atmosphere as it begins to approach and then large droplets begin to fall one by one in a slow and steady beat. Then in a flash the flood gates are opened and the rain pours down from the night sky, the wind rages, and lightning cracks all around as the thunder booms and rattles the balcony where I sit and watch all its magnificence.

Many times we can see the storm approaching in our lives. It builds and becomes a raging war inside us. We feel helpless and at its mercy. It begins to consume us until we are completely under its control. I know I have felt this way in regards to my weight gain. I sat there and watched myself getting heavier and although I gave an effort at times to gain control, I would lose the battle and regain the weight I had lost. I was constantly at war with myself succumbing to self-pity and depression. I was always on the lookout for a quick solution to my problems only to fail once again.

Finally I realized that I needed to make a lifestyle change if I was going to be successful. I had overcome many hard times in my life through my faith in God. He has always taken care of me and carried me through the rough roads I insisted on traveling. He had given me a second chance at life to reach my goals. After long hours of meditation and prayer I became to realize that I was not going to lose the weight overnight. I did not put it on quickly and it was going to take some time to take it off.

I had to change my attitude and put an end to the storm. Little by little I am achieving my goals and I am on my way to living a happier and healthier lifestyle. I am sure you can calm the storm that rages in your life as well. Just change your attitude and look at things from a new perspective. We must be like the tree and bow to the storm’s magnificence, yet hold tight to our dreams in order to stand tall and proud once the storm passes. You can gain control over your weight loss. You can be successful in your life. I have faith in you. God Bless you all the days of your life.

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.” - Anonymous

2 comments:

  1. Brian, this is a beautiful post, and a great analogy between the approaching storm and the problems we have that get out of hand! I'm glad to see you back posting again.

    Take good care,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Brian! Always love to read this line “Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.”

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...