Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Blurt: Stub Your Plat TOE?


When you stub your big toe, in those few moments while you are hopping around and screaming in excruciating pain, you feel as if your whole body is going to explode. Did I break it? Is it bleeding? Will I ever walk again? The thoughts of fear and anxiety run through your mind. Anger then rushes in and thoughts of how you will scold your child for leaving his toys once again in the hallway when you have told him a million times to put them away enter your mind. Then you become agitated at yourself for not paying attention to where you were going when actually you had done nothing wrong. You then realize although you are angry at your child for not doing as he was told, he is just a child and these things happen. Plateaus in reaching your weight loss goals are much the same way.

We are going along on our diet and then all of a sudden, BAM, you smack right into a plateau. You step on the scale and, OUCH! I gained a pound!? The pain is excruciating! I have done nothing wrong! I did my part! I was watching for those falls! What happened? Why did I fail? I do not understand! This makes no sense at all! I made the right choices! I stayed on my plan! I am being healthy! I have exercised! I did not eat that burger and fries and ate that salad for lunch the other day. What is going on? How could this be so? I must have lost weight. The scale must be wrong.

These plateaus when we are striving to reach our weight loss goals get frustrating because we are not losing weight or even have gained a pound or two. We really have not done anything wrong on our diet and cannot explain our failure. It is such a confusing time. We know we have exercised and have done everything we were supposed to do. Do not let these times bring you down. This is not the time to get depressed and fall back into our bad habits and grab a bag of chips and eat the whole thing. It is so easy to really plummet in these times of pain and anxiety. Instead, reward your success for staying on the plan for good health. Realize this is only temporary. Our bodies have fluctuations as it adjusts to our efforts in weight loss. Paige Waehner states, “The reason is that the human body works hard to keep energy intake and output in balance. In other words, your body does not like to lose weight (not a revelation, huh?).”*

We all will experience these plateaus. Like life, sometimes we just coast along; it is not that we are not moving in the right direction. We must not let these plateaus cause our collapse into the far reaches of the canyon of depression and self-doubt. With our continued efforts at living a healthy lifestyle and managing our diets and exercise we will succeed in our goals. Our bodies are just set on cruise control on the highway of life. We may stub our plat toes from time to time, but the pain will subside. We are not broken. It is just our bodies taking a rest so it can move forward. We will succeed. We will find our happiness.

Happiness is like manna; it is to be gathered in grains, and enjoyed every day.
Author unknown


* Waehner, Paige (2005, January 24). Understanding Weight Loss Plateaus. About.com. Retrieved June 11, 2009, from http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss/a/weightplateaus.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...