Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Blurt: How to Visually Measure Food

Many times we do not measure portions. I know I guesstimate all the time. It is important that we eat the right portions to maintain our healthy diet and lifestyle. But, after cooking a pot of whole wheat pasta, I am not going to pull out a measuring cup and portion my serving. I am going to visually look at it and guess from there. However, if you are not careful it is easy to over or under estimate your food intake. I offer a guide below of the tricks I use to measure my portions. These are in single serving portions. Hope this helps. God Bless.


Beef, Pork, Fish, & Poultry
3-4 ounces is about the size of the palm of your hand, a deck of cards or a pocket digital camera




6 ounce fish fillet is about the size of a pair of sunglasses




Fruit
1 serving of fruit is about the size of a tennis ball or baseball






Vegetables
1/2 cup of cut vegetables is about the size of a light bulb, so is one medium potato




Nuts
1/3 cup or serving is a small handful or the size of a golf ball
1 Tbsp Peanut Butter is about the size of both of your thumbs

Breads
1 slice of bread is the size of a DVD or CD case
1/2 regular bagel is about the size of a can of tuna




Cheese Shredded or Chunk
1 ounce is about the size of your thumb, a USB thumb drive or a small bar of soap

Cooked Pasta
1/2 cup is a rounded handful



Rice
1 cup is about the size of a tea cup

Dry Cereal and Popcorn
1 cup is about the size of your two hands cupped together like a bowl

Butter and Oil
1/2 teaspoon is about the size of your fingertip

Coleslaw
1/2 cup is about the size of half of an orange



Pancake or Large Bagel
About the size of a CD/DVD



Beans or Ice Cream
1/2 cup is about the size of a hockey puck


Thou shalt not weigh more than thy refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...