Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Jack-o-Lantern Story and Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe


The story of the Jack-o-Lantern comes from Irish folklore. Jack was a crafty farmer who tricked the Devil into climbing a tall tree. When the Devil reached the highest branch, Jack carved a large cross in the trunk, making it impossible for the Devil to climb down. In exchange for help getting out of the tree, the Devil promised never to tempt Jack with evil again. When Jack died, he was turned away from Heaven for his sins and turned away from Hell because of his trickery. Condemned to wander the Earth without rest, Jack carved out one of his turnips, took an ember from the devil, and used it for a lantern to light his way. He became known as "Jack of the Lantern."

The one pictured is my creation from last year. I couldn’t find the cord to upload the picture of this year’s pumpkin. I hope you didn’t toss the seeds from yours; you can make a healthy snack out of those pumpkin seeds. They are a good source of protein, fiber, iron, zinc, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and potassium. The seeds also provide essential polyunsaturated fatty acids. Some studies have found pumpkin seeds to prevent arteriosclerosis, help regulate cholesterol levels, lower the risk of certain types of kidney stones, and help prevent the onset of anxiety attacks, depression and other mood disorders (Wikipedia, 2009).

Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipe

• Preheat oven to 325° F
• Rinse pumpkin seeds under cold water being sure to pick out all of the pulp and strings. This is easier when you first remove them from the pumpkin before they have a chance to dry.
• Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place the seeds in a single layer and spray them with the non-stick cooking spray.
• Sprinkle with salt or other spice for flavor and bake for about 25 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.
• Let cool and store in an air-tight container.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...