Welcome

I have been on a journey to a happier and healthier lifestyle. In 2007, I was bed ridden due to an infection and although I was already obese, I gained more weight and topped out at 500 pounds. I began writing about health and fitness after I suffered Congestive Heart Failure and Respiratory Failure in February 2009. I currently have lost over 150 pounds and continue to walk toward my goals. I am a member of Weight Watchers and I am top contributor on the Weight Watchers site. Here is a link to my Weight Watchers blog. I hope my blogs inspire you and help you realize miracles do happen and your goals are achievable. Take care and God bless you.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Blurt: Temptation Got You Squirrelly?


When temptation arises do you start to feel irrational, like you have no mind of your own? When they bring out the appetizer, do you think, “I can eat just a few bites?” When you hear them start to sing Happy Birthday, does your mouth start to water for cake and ice cream? Do you just have to have a pudding cup as you spy your child grabbing one? I know these times really test my strength. It is difficult for me to stay on my diet and live the healthy lifestyle I yearn for. I think Mark Twain said it best, “I deal with temptation by yielding to it." It is so easy to give into temptation and let my addiction take over. Temptation is everywhere. You find it at home, during celebrations, socializing with friends and dining out.

At home, I find it easier if I can avoid or hide the things that tempt me. I will store snacks and chips out of sight and out of reach. When my son brings home soft drinks, I have him put them in his refrigerator in his room. I will bag up snacks for me in portions so I do not go overboard and devour the whole package. I keep healthy snacks on hand like fruits and nuts. I buy healthier snacks like popcorn and those 100 calorie prepackaged snacks. I buy the diet snack bars to satisfy my sweet tooth. All of these methods help me stay on track. These actions are easy to do and help me make the lifestyle change I need to succeed.

I find it especially difficult for me to stay on track during celebrations. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, Birthdays, Anniversaries, or just sitting down to dinner at the table (definitely a special occasion in my home) are times when my brain starts to go into high gear trying to rationalize the decision to cheat. But if I plan for these times and make the adjustments in my diet and exercise for the week, I will usually find that it is easier to avoid the temptation. I know I will probably not experience a high weight loss, but I do know I can possibly have a small weight loss or at the very least maintain my current weight.

Socializing with friends can be a time of weakness but making those lifestyle choices in order change and stay on our diet and achieve our weight loss is a conscious decision we must choose to make in order to lose the weight we desire. When we are in a social situation and there are snacks on every table, we must stop and say no. We have to choose not to hang out at the buffet table or in the kitchen. We have to choose not to drink that high calorie, alcoholic drink. It is our decision. Some people call it willpower. I just believe you have to make up your mind you are going to change. Not for anyone else but for yourself. You are the one in control. It is your choice. If you make the decision to go off your plan, then also plan how you will regain your strength. As I have said before, if we plan for our success, we will reach our weight loss goals and make the lifestyle changes we need.

“'Tis one thing to be tempted, another thing to fall."...William Shakespeare

“Every conquering temptation represents a new fund of moral energy. Every trial endured and weathered in the right spirit makes a soul nobler and stronger than it was before."...William Butler Yeats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I really do appreciate them and I always try to visit your blog in return though sometimes it may take me a few days with my busy schedule. Thanks for your understanding.

Sing to the LORD, all the earth;
Proclaim good tidings of His salvation from day to day.

1 Chronicles 16:23

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...